We reported just an hour ago that the Chicago Blackhawks had recalled 23-year-old forward John Hayden from the Rockford IceHogs today, and that they had used their last non-emergency recall of the season to do so. However, it turns out there is a very precise reason why Chicago needed Hayden for today's game against the Boston Bruins.
According to a breaking news report from Sun Times' Mark Lazerus, it looks like it was an emergency recall after all. The journalist reported that 23-year-old winger Vinnie Hinostroza is currently dealing with a family matter, which means he wont suit up this afternoon against Bruce Cassidy's team. He also added that Hayden's going to play with Alex DeBrincat and Nick Schmaltz today:
Lazerus also added that Hayden could also be used on the power-play:
Coach Quenneville also confirmed 26-year-old netminder Jean Francois Berube will get the start against Boston:
Hayden was selected in the third round (74th overall) of the 2013 NHL draft by Chicago. He signed a rookie deal with the Hawks right after completing his senior season at Yale University, last year. He played a total of 51 games with the team over two seasons, in which he recorded 15 points. The 6 foot 3, 223-pound winger has had a bit more success with the IceHogs this season, where he amassed 14 points in just 22 games.
It is fair to say Chicago has had a pretty disappointing 2017-18 season. The team has a record of 29 wins, 31 losses and 8 overtime/shootout losses, good for 66 points. The team is currently 13 points out of a playoffs spot, which means they are pretty much out of the race already. On the other hand, Boston has had much more success this year. They are currently second in the Eastern conference because of their 92 points in just 65 games.
IN OTHER NEWS:
- NHL insider makes a huge declaration about James van Riemsdyk and free agency
- Chicago Blackhawks have announced a surprising roster move
- Here's the reason why John Hayden was recalled from the AHL
- Peter Chiarelli might be in big trouble, and Wayne Gretzky might be the reason why
- Mark Giordano loses it on the referee after getting a penalty for blocking a shot
- Coach Guy Boucher murders a reporter with words for asking a stupid question
- Multiple NHL sources confirm a rumor of a Carey Price blockbuster