Breaking: Vezina candidate pulled in pivotal Game 3 matchup

Four goals against on just nine shots! Who saw this coming!?

Share on Facebook

If you haven’t been watching tonight’s Game 3 match up between the Winnipeg Jets and the Minnesota Wild… you’re missing one HELL of a hockey game. Especially if you happen to be a Wild fan.

To catch you up, the Wild EXPLODED for four goals in the middle frame, to take a commanding 6-2 lead. While he’s not solely to blame, Jets goaltender Connor Helleybuck, a lock as a Vezina Trophy candidate this season, has been pulled in favor of veteran Steve Mason.

So… what led to this surprising turn of events? After all, the Jets seemed to be home and cooled in this series after two relatively easy wins in Winnipeg. Call it home cooking or what you will, but the Wild came out on an absolute tear and simply have not taken their foot off the gas, despite being behind on the scoreboard early.

Here’s a look at the four goals that managed to elude Hellebuyck this evening.

First off, a perfect feed from captain Mikko Koivu to Mikael Granlund tied the game at one:

Zach Parise got the go ahead, also off a sweet Koivu feed:

Up next, Matt Dumba sifts one in from the blue line for the Wild’s third of the evening:

From there the goals just kept coming. Eric Staal, Jordan Greenway and Marcus Foligno each lit the lamp in quick succession.

All in all… not a great evening for Hellebuyck and the Jets. But, given the resiliency that this team has shown throughout the 2017-18 season, you can bet that they’ll be back and re-focused for Game 4. For now though… probably just smart to get back to the hotel, hit the pillow and forget about this entire nightmare of a game. 

Ironically, the Jets almost didn't make it to this game in the first place after their flight from Winnipeg had to be diverted from Minneapolis to Duluth, Minnesota due to weather.

Scott Brown, a spokesperson for Jets owner True North Sports & Entertainment, had confirmed Saturday afternoon the Jets' plane, en route from Winnipeg to Minneapolis, was diverted to Duluth, Minn., about a 250-kilometre drive away. Rather than make the long drive, the Jets elected to fly back to Winnipeg and then fly out to Minneapolis early this morning. The team arrived just hours before puck drop at the Xcel Energy Center.

Depending on who you ask though, the Jets never really showed up in the first place.