The Toronto Maple Leafs organization has confirmed that 21-year-old defenseman Travis Dermott has officially suffered a lower-body injury tonight, as the team is facing the Winnipeg Jets in Toronto. He left for the locker room after he blocked a shot from Ben Chiarot. We could read on Sportsnet.com that "Dermott’s condition was not immediately known but he showed visible signs of pain."
He is not going to be back tonight:
This is certainly not what heqd coach Mike Babcock was hoping to hear, considering the playoffs are just weeks away.
Dermott played 35 games with the Leafs this year, in which he recorded one goal and 12 assists for 13 points. The 6 foot, 208 pound defenseman added 18 points in 28 games in the American Hockey League with the Toronto Marlies.
More details to come.
Breaking: Matt Murray goes down after questionable hit from Gallagher
Pittsburgh Penguins' fans held their breath on Saturday night, just seconds after the start of the game against the Montreal Canadiens. As you can see in the following sequence, star goaltender Matt Murray went down after a questionable hit from Habs' little pest, Brendan Gallagher.
Knowing Gallagher's style, do you believe this was accidental? We have to admit it was scary, nonetheless. Especially when we know that Murray has been diagnosed with a concussion just over a month ago...
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Sam Werner and NHL.com's Tom Gulitti both noted that the 23-year-old netminder took some time to get up, but that he looks just fine:
"Matt Murray slow to get up there, but looks OK."
"Matt Murray a little slow to get up after Brendan Gallagher crashed into him, but appears OK."
The young goalie, who has a way of getting injured at the worse time, has a record of 25 wins, 15 losses and 3 OT losses this season, with a 2.91 goals-against average and a 0.907 save percentage over 46 games with the Penguins. He won't be able to rely on backup Marc-Andre Fleury this time around during the postseason, so we are sure hoping he will be fully healthy for the playoffs.
Some fans were pretty surprised, and upset, that nobody went and defended Murray after this questionable play.
Conor Sheary, Patric Hornqvist (who scored his 200th career NHL goal), and Carl Hagelin were all able to beat Habs' goaltender Antti Niemi in the first period. Pittsburgh has a 3-2 lead over the Canadiens after 47 minutes of play.
IN OTHER NEWS...
- We have devastating news concerning Brandon Carlo's injury
- Matt Murray goes down after a questionable hit from Gallagher
- Sidney Crosby makes a huge declaration about Carey Price ahead of tonight's game
- Brandon Carlo gets stretchered off the ice after awkward fall
- Top goaltender out for the remainder of the season.
- Bruins' Nash takes a heavy slap shot to the head
- No. 1 fighter in the NHL gets knocked out
- Leafs make touching gesture for teammates of murdered star goalie
- Hawks' Keith about to set a disastrous record
- Another shocking trade coming out of St. Louis during the summer?
- Phil Kessel gets brutally insulted on the ice!