NHL prospect passes two foot long tapeworm!

Warning: This is not for the faint of heart...

Share on Facebook

This story will send shivers down your spine and might make you have nightmares. You've been warned. 

After he was drafted by the Columbus Blue Jackets at the 2017 National Hockey League Entry Draft, young prospect Carson Meyer got ready to get another season in the NCAA with Miami University under his belt. Nothing stood in his way and Meyer was ready to impress. However,  the season would not turn out the way he expected... Meyer revealed he felt sluggish when he arrived on campus back in August, but hoped that he would get his energy back as the season wore on and things would get back on track.

However, they only got worse... 

At the end of season, Meyer had only played in 34 games, recording six goals and 4 assists for a total of 10 points on the year.  It was a huge step backwards for the young forward who had managed to tally 10 goals and 26 points in just 32 games in his previous season with Miami University. What also hurt is that he ended the season at a -22, a huge step back from the -2 that he had earned in the previous season. 

And he just had no clue what was going on... 

Meyer then decided to meet with doctors and specialists to get a better idea of what was wrong with him and the way he was feeling. Some suggested he was dealing with depression. However, Meyer knew the changes were quite apparent physically and had the feeling it was more than that. 

“One (opposing) coach asked some of my teammates if I had cancer,” Meyer said as per Blue Jackets insider Aaron Portzline of The Athletic.

While the Blue Jackets did expect more for Meyer in the past season, they grew concerned that something was wrong with him. They were on the same page with Meyer himself. 

“Nobody could really say what was wrong with him,” Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said. “He was tested for mononucleosis. He was tested for all the other things you could have when you’re fatigued. They found nothing.

“We were kind of scratching our heads as we followed the (scouting) reports.”

It all came to an end - thankfully for Meyer - in a weird life moment. Once again you've been warned... 

“I was going to the bathroom, just like normal,” Meyer said. “And it came out.”

"It" was diphyllobothrium latum, a parasite that had been growing inside of Meyer for what doctor's suspect may have been more than a year. It's a form of tapeworm and when it came out of Meyer it was 25 inches in length, the head, the neck and all of the segments were there and they were reportedly orange in their color. He might have come from eating undercooked fish.

Meyer admits that he was in shock at the discovery, so much so that he called his mom and asked her what the hell was going on.

“I Face-timed my mom and was like, ‘What the hell is this thing?’ ” Meyer said. “I was freaking out. Absolutely freaking out.”

Carson’s mother, Holly, told The Athletic she had never been so horrified. Meyer said he has since lost his appetite for fish. 

Thank God that's out of him now. 

Meyer went on to reveal that he now hopes to transfer from Miami to Ohio State. He might have issues returning to a school which medical staff failed to properly diagnose him...

“I don’t blame them for having no idea what was going on,” Meyer said. “But I think they probably regret the way they handled it now. I didn’t like the way it was handled. They had no idea just like I had no idea, but they used a bunch of different tactics to get me out of what they thought was just a slump.”

If Miami refuses the transfer, let's just say Meyer has a two-foot long argument against them...